Monday 19 September 2016

Canberra ACT - Snowy Mountains

                                          16th - 18th September 2016: Mini getaway


                                                The Story
        I have always wanted to witness snow, learn to ski and most importantly have snowball fights since I was a little kid. I am falling in love with the unexpected changes and excitement life has blessed me with this year. I have learnt to embrace the good, the bad and the worst. Traveling is a very expensive hobby to uphold. However, my heart always wants more and sadly I always give in.

My first encounter with the snow was on my trip to Europe in January this year. When I went to Europe, I only got to see and feel snow. I was very fortunate enough to make another trip to the snows, this time it was to the Snowy Mountains. It all began when I came home one Saturday night. As I opened the door, I saw my mum's friend sitting on the couch. I went to say hello and mum asked if I was interested in going to the Snowy Mountains in three weeks time. In my excitement, I said Yes! And asked mum to invite Michelle. We also booked the accomodation on the same night for six people.
                       

                                          "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."                                              

      - Neale Donald Walsch


It took us about 7 hours with little stopovers along the way to get to Jindabyne from Sydney via car. We left at 5:30pm Friday night and didn't reach till 2am Saturday morning. It was so cold in the car that I had to wrap myself up with all the clothes I could find in my bag. My dad was driving really fast with the window down the majority of the time. I felt numb for the whole 7 hours till we got to the apartment. Thank goodness, the apartment was warm so everyone could fall asleep in ease.


She's fixing up the Uluru

We woke up 6am Saturday morning and had breakfast. Around 9am, we headed to the ski shop to hire our ski gears. I hired the boots, pant, helmet, ski board and poles for $60 for 1 day. We decided to go to Perisher Valley as it was my first time to ski. We arrived at Perisher Valley at 11am. I was so relieved to see snow and practice skiing considering we went to the Snowy Mountains at the beginning of Spring.

I attempted to ski but I kept losing balance. After the 10th attempt and constantly falling on my side, I decided to give it a rest. We all decided to go to the cafè for lunch. Michelle and I decided to have something small. We shared one meat pie, a box of strawberries and small box of chips with hot chocolates.

Hot Chocolate ~ makes my heart melt, every single time ~

Dude, Where's my pie? :P

After our lunch, Michelle and I decided to do tobogganing. This was also my first time tobogganing and it was totally fun. We couldn't stop ourselves from laughing. There came a stage where Michelle was pushing the board with her arms just so I can slide down the hill. This 11 year old kid challenged herself to push me down the hill and succeeded. She had the biggest smile on her face and screamed, Mission Accomplished! I adore her so much, such a joy to have her around. She also insisted on building a snowman. It takes a lot of effort to build a solid snowman that won't fall and stand strong. So she gave up and decided to play with someone else's snowman.

I am on top of the world :P

Around 5pm we returned to the cafe. It was getting late and we wanted to say hi to Rascal (Michelle's dog). We couldn't stay for long in the cafe otherwise we would have received a fine for having a dog inside the premises because everyone was awed by Rascal's presence.

We decided to head to the grocery store to buy some ingredients for dinner. We stopped at a Indian Restaurant and brought some Mango Lassi. It tasted different and a bit too sweet. I have had my fair share of Lassi's in my life so I would rate this one 2.5/5.

After we arrived at the apartment, Michelle and I went for a 10 minute walk down the road to capture the waterfront view. It looked amazing especially with the sunset. I could just stand there and admire it.  It was chilly outside so we rushed back inside before we froze to death. Overall, my trip was pleasing. I wished I could have spent more time at the Snowy Mountains. One day was just not enough. Dad had to return home early the next day and we did have a long drive ahead so we left at 7am and got to Liverpool around 12:30pm for lunch.

                                         
                                            And that is all folks. It was a short and simple getaway.


No comments:

Post a Comment