Monday 24 April 2017

M A L D I V E S

 


              This destination had been on my bucket list for a while. I guess its true when they say, if you truly want something, stop waiting around and take actions to make it happen. I became a hawk when it came to searching for cheap flights to Maldives. It took a lot of patience and persuasion to make my mum agree to come, my sister just tagged along for fun but later got over excited when she realised she is actually going to Maldives. Mum gets awesome hotel deals around the world, booking a hotel took a bit of planning around the dates and the best time to travel. I also got to stay on an over water bungalow for two nights, another item ticked off my never ending bucket list.  



                 Day 1: Sunday 9th April, 2017

Maldives Airport

          The day finally arrived, I have dreamt about this place for two years and waited about six months for this day to come since we booked the tickets. I was overwhelmed with joy and just couldn't wait to go to the airport. We landed at Maldives at 11pm and unfortunately missed the last seaplane to the resort by few minutes. We lost all hope and thought we will be spending the night sleeping on the benches at the airport. Luckily, the airport security guard came to our rescue and found us accommodation for the night and helped us catch the bus to the motel.  We are so grateful to the airport security guard for helping us. 

Our room at the motel was really small. The room had one queen bed and one single bed. The mattresses on the bed were very thin that you could feel the springs underneath. I found it so uncomfortable to sleep on but eventually I dozed off.  

           
              Day 2: Monday 10th April - 14th April, 2017 

The Sun Island Resort


The motel provided us with basic breakfast (included in the package) and arranged a vehicle to drop us at the airport. The owner was very friendly and accomodating especially with getting us checked in quickly the night before so we could get some rest.

From my own experience walking through the narrow streets of Hulhule, I found a lot of rubbish along the path and the air was polluted. The apartments looked small and congested. People smiled at us, some said good morning and few sang a song as we walked past them.   

After reaching the airport, we took a seaplane and a speed boat to our resort, The Sun Island. All the guests were taken on the buggy to the reception with their luggages. The guests were greeted with refreshments and were asked to fill out the forms. My family and I booked the beach villa view room which was right on the beach. The manager greeted us when we received the keys for the room and offered us the $99 USD per night upgrade specials for the overwater villas. I convinced my mum to take the offer as this could be once in a life time opportunity and I gave the manager my travel card to purchase the deal. 
We decided to upgrade the last 2 nights to the overwater villa. It was definitely our lucky day! 


❥ The Sun Island Pool •

After we settled in, we decided to go for a swim at the beach. The water at the beach was so clear and warm. Couple minutes later, I was surrounded by baby sharks. It felt like I was swimming in an aquarium, such an incredible experience. Honestly, I could just stay here for weeks and get used to the humidity as long as I can escape the reality. 

Swimming for couple of hours made us very hungry. We got ready and decided to walk to the restaurant for the buffet. The resort looks like a maze, there's a lot of pathways and you could easily get lost. Most people rented a bike to get around the island. If only I knew how to ride a bike, I would have been able to cycle around the island whilst enjoying the great scenery. I will add bike riding lessons to my bucket list and work on it.





At night time, the island transforms into a magical paradise. The lights create the mesmerising effect along with the cool breeze providing the perfect ambience to wander around.

We moved into the Overwater villa after 3 days. The guy picked us up on the buggy and dropped us off in front of our villa. The best thing about the villa was it had a huge bath tub and a gigantic glass window in the bathroom so you could look into the ocean whilst you are bathing. Having a bath during the sunset and absorbing the view was just incredible. We had our own balcony with beach chairs to relax and access to the ocean to swim with the turtles. 






I did have a list of things I wanted to see and do such as the Blue Lagoon and Village Tours. However, I decided to talk to the workers at the resort and learn about their local life. All the workers at the resort live on the island with their families. I have seen women swiping the path and picking up the leaves in a big bag every morning and I believe they are wives of the men working at the resort as they weren't wearing the resort uniform. Few workers told us they get to take one week off every year to go visit their island and spend some time with their families. I always complain about wanting more than 4 weeks off in a year to travel, explore and relax. These guys are just so happy to go home and seeing the big smile on their face when they speak about the local life is just heart warming. It was delightful to yarn with the workers and listening to their stories made the days enjoyable.


❥ Maldives Sunset •

I am glad I chose to go to Maldives this year. Not only did I treat myself to an luxurious holiday but I sincerely loved meeting those workers, they have such humble and graceful personalties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment